Saturday, October 25, 2008

#6 Biodata

I am currently a Year 2 undergraduate in NUS, reading Chemistry. After my 'A' levels, I decided on pursuing a career in teaching and accepted a Teaching Award from MOE in 2007. Teaching is a suitable career for me because I am not satisfied with desk-confined jobs requring long hours in front of a computer. I am a sociable person who enjoys interacting with people. Being able to share my knowledge and experiences gives me much satisfaction. I am also an active individual with strong interests in sports and in picking up new things. Working in a dynamic environment such as in an educational institution will allow me to be constantly engaged in new challenges and activities.

During pre-university education, I was given opportunities to excel in leadership and in team play. Being team captain in my CCA has trained me to be a more decisive, motivating and sensitive person. My involvement in school projects, such as 'Kids Against Cancer' in collaboration with National Cancer Centre, gave me much insights and helped me develop IT skills in setting up a website to educate young children about cancer.

I began taking up temporary jobs during school vacations at 15 to gain work experience. Working in a myriad of different environments in companies such as MediaCorp Studios Pte Ltd, Singapore General Hospital and Crescent Girls' School has given me invaluable learning experiences. These exposures have helped me develop good administration and interpersonal skills, as well as allowed me to explore the different realms of life.

Here, I would like to share a favourite quote of mine:

"If you haven't got what you love, learn to love what you've got." -Anon.

7 comments:

r. said...

Hey Steph,

well done for your biodata. It's overall a good biodata as it encompasses almost every aspect of your life, your interest, your experiences and your personal motto in life to live by.

You have a very impressive and rich working experience as well as leadership qualities and it is pretty well illustrated.

I guess you could also add some personal interest to your biodata?

GuangYi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GuangYi said...

Hello Stephany

I think you gave a really complete biodata of yourself. Your tone was appropriate and your sentence structure and organisation pattern of your paragraphs were well-thought.

However, I feel that you could make your biodata more succinct. I understand it is difficult to describe oneself in (slightly above 100 words), because I took great pains in summarising my own biodata as well; but I feel the relevance of being concise in a biodata is for your potential employers who have to read millions of biodata a day to single you out from a pile of paper. In order to do that, I guess you have to really sieve out the part that would make you "pop" out from the pages, to attract their attention.

My suggestion is you should highlight your passion for teaching, your leadership abilities and maybe how your involvement in the "Kids Against Cancer" project has changed your life.

I hope you don't find me too critical. I really like your biodata, just that I feel that yours if more appropriate to be placed alongside your resume if the employer wants to know more about you.

Cheers
Guang Yi

Jean Tan said...

Your biodata is clear and complete. It covers your present life as an undergraduate, your dream as a teacher, your CCA and your working experience. Every aspect is well described. It allows the reader to know you deeper.

I believe your passion in teaching will definitely make you a great teacher who will touch many students’ lives. A teacher not only teaches but need to take care of the emotion and physical side of the students. Being a sensitive person, I believe you will be able to sense all the needs of your students.

Darren said...

Good morning teacher,

Your biodata looks impressive. You have covered almost everything in terms of life, interest experience and even life motto. I think the quote mentioned is really interesting. Especially for people who cannot find a job they really like. I will keep that in mind.

Yup. Probably some personal interest. :)

Darren

oxy said...

Hi Stephany,
I think you have covered quite well about your achievement and goal in life. Personally, I like the first paragraph of your BioData very much. The way you explained why teaching is the most suitable career for you based on your personal character, definitely highlight your strengths as well as your determination to be a teacher.
However, I think your BioData is a little too lengthy. Perhaps you could select those important skills you think that are appropriate and related to yourself or career in the BioData. A shorter and concise BioData will definitely capture the attention of most readers.
Xinyi

Shao Bin said...

Dear Stephany,

Your biodata is rather complete as you highlighted all your aspects in terms of your life, your interests, your goals and your experiences.

You made a very good introduction on your decision of becoming a teacher. It is well-written and will definitely grab the reader's attention.

As a reader of your biodata, I feels that you are someone who really can face any challenges and overcome them; and very adaptable to new environment.

All the best in achieving your goals to the peak!

Cheers!